make sense of ～の意味を理解する、～を解明する
(historical) evidence (歴史的)証拠
come into existence 発生する、出現する、誕生する、成立する
fifth century 西暦5世紀
in a position to 立場にある
1. What language was spoken by people at the time Stonehenge was built?
2. What were the first languages spoken in Britain that we know about?
3. When did English start to develop?
4. Where did the first “English speaking” tribes come from?
5. Which present-day country did the Normans come from?
6. Which war caused the connection with France to become weaker?
7. Which famous girl was important in this war?
8. What helped English develop as a user-friendly language?
9. Where did the Tudors come from?
10. What did the Tudors try to do?
11. What happened to the ancient language spoken in Cornwall?
12. What happened to the ancient language spoken in Wales?